Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Swirling Thoughts II

Hey Guys,

God showed me a verse that greatly encouraged my belief in what God's will is in regards to healing. He has been convicting us of late to demonstrate this belief with opportunities that have really challenged me and my faith. I've found myself focusing more on the what than the why. I am to do what he leads me to do and have faith and trust when I don't always understand the why. I will propose a question at the end of these swirling thoughts.

Isaiah 53:4-5 goes as follows...surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed! That just means spiritual healing...right? I've always thought that and then God showed me Matthew 8:16-17...When evening came many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirit with a word and healed all the sick. This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah: He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases!! Wow...I had never noticed that before...we are talking about Jesus purchasing our physical healing as part of the curse mentioned in Deuteronomy 28 that he took upon the cross with him. I have read Isaiah 53 many times during communion and had never made a physical connection as Jesus wants to heal our soul, mind, body, and spirit! The greek word for salvation that Jesus uses in the New Testament is SOZO which means holistic healing involving spiritual and physical.

Well, for some reason I had 3 different people come into my office yesterday asking if I always thought it was God's will to heal...that's a whole different conversation that I'm not going to go into here (if you want to know where I am on this, I can email you a document that gives you a good idea). It was a great conversation as contrary to what those in my family may think while reading this...God gives me the Spirit of peace and patience in conversations that people purposely attack or try to challenge my faith (ha). One said, "people who always believe it's God's will to heal just want the Health/Wealth gospel." I've been hearing the Health/Wealth gospel term a lot lately in the context of bashing Christians who pray for the Spirit of provision and those who pray against the spirit of infirmity. I've been praying those prayers a lot in the last couple of years for my family and their extended family. False humility can be a big barrier in our prayer life.

Here is my question that I finally am getting to that God spoke to me yesterday. Health/Wealth gospel??? What do you want to hear then...the Disease/Poverty gospel??? Something to think about as I realize people cry out for balance on most things and I understand the theological desire for balance...but there are some things God and Jesus are not very balanced on and to me; this is one of those areas. It's been hard for me to grasp as the Bible is clear to me that the Will of God for us is filled with blessings and the enemy is fighting against that. I realize the motivation of the heart is key but what is God going to say to us when we go to heaven and have always believed in the health/wealth even when people didn't always get healed due to the fallen world we live in as the perfect hadn't come yet..."You know what Todd, you just believed too much in me". Sounds crazy doesn't it? If I error on one side, Lord let me be in the realm of believing too much in you rather than on the side of unbelief that surrounds us. I have been on the unbelief side most of my life.

Just some thoughts that I felt compelled to share, not to convince. Jesus tells us in John 10:10, "the thief comes only to steal, kill, and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world cause by evil desires (2 Peter 1:3-4)...

Todd

No comments: