Thursday, April 17, 2008

Swirling Thoughts

Hey guys! Assuming someone reads this blog...anyone? Anyways, we bought new rechargeable batteries for the camera so I could put the photos of us and Eli and our little Easter photo, but either it's the batteries or the camera not working...we haven't figured that out yet. So, if you are reading my blog, you get one of my many swirling thoughts of late written out loud.

They asked me to speak on "Real Faith - God is Real!", this weekend at the Men's Retreat. My faith has really been stretched and challenged more than ever this past year and a half and I'm actually asking God to keep making me uncomfortable. Kind of have to get comfortable with the uncomfortable sometimes in our walk with God and having faith that takes risks don't we? So, I've been asking God to lead me on this talk of faith as I've looked at the Inspired Word of late and my first inclination was to read Hebrews 11 and then simply sit down...enough said. Yet it stuck out to me in verse 39 that they had not received all that God had promised and we live under a different promise and covenant today that is better than those mentioned in the hall of fame of faith...wow!

This sent me on a search of the perfect theology...Jesus! God in the flesh is God's will and nature in action and is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Heb. 13:8). I was amazed at how big of a role our faith plays in receiving blessings from God! God can win with a pair of twos and can bless despite our unbelief...but the majority of the gospels display the important role our faith plays as co-laborers with God. If we take this seriously the Bible becomes more than black or white, it must become living color as God didn't stop being mighty and active when the apostles died off; He is living and active today. I hear at times the miraculous age has past...or may it be a miraculous faith has past? I have chosen to read the New Testament through the lens that it is meant for today as well, and not just for 2,000 years ago. Kind of changes things!

As much as faith plays an active role in receiving blessings and making it through tough times; unbelief can be just as active the opposite way. Read Mark 6:1-6...Jesus was amazed at their unbelief and couldn't perform any miracles (except lay hands on a few people and heal their sickness)...and he simply left. This really hit me in the gut yesterday as I dare say we have all witnessed people or elders anointing and praying for healing and it happening? Not to minimize that at all, but if it stops there and we are satisfied we are practicing a Nazareth level of faith that left Jesus in amazement at the unbelief. I realized I've been content with a Nazareth level of faith and God is calling us to be freaked out, challenged, and willing to go for the level of faith Jesus lays out in John 14:12-14...wow!

Closing thoughts: we won't need the spiritual gifts (all of them) when we go to heaven will we? So, what other time would we need them than now? When Jesus starts a sentence with I tell you the truth...we better listen. Matthew 17:19-21 says, "I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there', and it would move. Nothing would be impossible." I sure don't have all the answers but I know God is Real, Satan is Real, the Holy Spirit is real, and Satan doesn't stand a chance to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ living in me! Lord, we believe...help us in our unbelief and cast away doubt, fear, and comfort that get in the way of a radical faith in you...in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. Have a blessed weekend!
Todd

1 comment:

The Meador Family said...

I'm here and I'm reading. I always enjoying reading your swirling thoughts. They give me my daily devotional.

I love you,
Shelli