I wanted to give you a quick update on our trip to the city of Quintana Roo on the island of Cozumel. A number of people there claim Mayan decent more than being Mexican, but it is a part of greater Mexico.
God truly blessed our time with the Angels. It was fun going back having already established some relationships with them. Something neat about them is they are pretty secure, they don't have to be all over you. The biggest reason is they know they will never leave the City of Angels until they go out on their own. They don't have to worry about being taken to another orphanage, foster home, or being claimed by their parents. All of the Angels have no family and are legally bound to the City of Angels. This gives them a lot of security and belonging as they take care of each other.
Our teens worked very hard at the Vacation Bible School and Work Site. After V.B.S. we would take them to our Villa and feed them lunch and swim with them for an hour and a half. We were worn out, but it was great. We would then spend two hours with them in the heat of the day and eventually crash each night at about midnight. The guys uprooted trees at the new orphanage site with pick axes and regular axes in the sweltering heat. They were nasty at the end of the day. The coordinators paid us a big compliment on the last day...they said we were the hardest working group they have! That's a big deal to hear as they never let you know how you're doing until the last day as that's just the way they communicate...or fail to communicate. We are there for the Angels though, so you find joy in the journey.
I loved seeing Gustavo again and this is actually a picture of us on the last night there. He must have hugged me 20 times intermittently that night...I loved it!

Earlier in the week Gustavo turned 10 and we surprised him by celebrating it with a couple of gifts. I gave him a soccer ball, swimming goggles, and a Dallas Cowboy football. He was very grateful.

Instead of a birthday cake, as we were already going to get them all ice cream bars that night, I got him a little chocolate muffin. He immediately shared it with his siblings and close friends.

This is my intern Kristen Shoulders. She helped in a big way as the female youth minister I work with is on maternity leave. Kristen really picked up the slack and then some...thank you Lord!

I can hear you wanting to laugh at the next picture, but I honestly did not know a girl in my youth group was taking it. This is on the other side of the island of Cozumel as I'm standing over blow holes where water shoots up at any moment through the rocks. It was a different kind of beauty as we drove along the shore all the way around the island. I remember thinking how big God was as I looked out over the ocean.

Thank you again for your prayers and financial support. In the Spirit of John 15:5, God produced a lot of fruit through this trip as we even had locals joining us for worship at night. Our teens boldly prayed over people spontaneously throughout the week too...Marcie and I affectionately call it a "Treasure Hunt". God provides the opportunity to pray and you draw the gold out of them as you bless them and lay hands on them. Loved hearing our teens talk about their Treasure Hunts. Blessings on all of you as you Shine for Him!
Todd
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing and I loved the pictures! Glad your back.
Thanks for the update. It sounds like the Lord truly blessed your trip. Mom
Post a Comment