Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Marshmallows & Hot Sauce


One of the fun things we did when Grandma and Big Daddy were here for Owen's birthday was have a marshmallow fight. We had never done this before and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done with my boys. We armed ourselves with big marshmallows and proceeded to nail each other with marshmallows all around the house. The boys loved it and by the time we were done, we were laughing so hard it hurt and were completely worn out and sweaty. Lee and I had extra fun hitting each other as hard as we could. The shoulder was pretty sore the next day...I'm getting older!! Owen followed us around and ate the ammunition as you see above.

We had a humbling experience in parenting recently involving hot sauce. We had been out from the house for about 3 hours and when we got home we realized one of the boys had turned the water on in the backyard and had not turned it off. Needless to say there was a lot of water out there and I was pretty frustrated with the boys. We gave them the opportunity to tell the truth and own up to their mistake of leaving it on, and none of them would cave in. Eventually we gave all three of them a spoonful of hot sauce for not telling the truth. We do this every once in a while if it involves lying or making fun of someone.

Several weeks later, after we had put the boys to bed, Marcie starts hearing something and eventually finds the sound outside in the form of water rushing out from our backyard faucet. What she finds is our dog Ace sitting there having turned on the water. Our dog had been the one to turn on the water when the boys wouldn't admit to it!! The next morning I went to get them Krispy Kreme donuts as the first step of apologizing for not believing them and then Marcie and I proceeded to take in a big spoonful of hot sauce in front of our boys. It made an impact on them and let me just say it's a bad combination eating donuts right after you've almost gagged on a spoonful of hot sauce at 7:30 in the morning. God continues to teach us so much through our children and parenting. Thought you might enjoy that story and go and have a marshmallow fight tonight with your children! Blessings to you all.

Todd

No comments: