We are in the middle of a series at church entitled "Legacy". With our new service we now have a creative team that dreams and prepares with our preacher and they are coming up with appropriate themes for the times and make some neat videos to drive home the point. Mom, Dad, and Grandma Stracke got to see a neat lesson and video last week that was special for Memorial Day Weekend.
Our preacher, Buddy Bell, recently asked me if I knew of a good story of someone who passed down a legacy of faith. I told him I had a neat personal story of my Grandma Miller and he wanted to hear all about it. I told him of having to write a Family History paper in my graduate work 12 years ago and how I got to interview Grandma Miller for 4 hours and learned a lot of neat stories from this woman who had survived and shined in many ways from a hard life. I told him of her sneaking out into the cotton fields to read her Bible and praying for God to give her understanding; of her basically running away from her stepmother and coming to a church of Christ; of her raising 4 boys on her own...etc.
I then told Buddy of feeling moved to write her a letter to thank her of the Legacy she left behind by anchoring herself in Christ. Marcie was pregnant at the time with Easton and I had just read "Anchor Man" by Steve Farrar. Buddy asked if I had the letter and I assured him I did not as I hadn't made a copy of the one I had sent to her 11 years ago. He asked me to look, just in case, as he would love to use the story in the Legacy series. I looked in my old files in my office and saw a "Family History" tab and found the letter! I couldn't believe it. I took it into his office and read it out loud and started crying and hugging on Buddy for support.
The creative team took me to a place that looked like southern Louisiana and they took different shots of me and told me to look "contemplative". They then recorded me reading part of the letter I had sent to Grandma. In Buddy's lesson he's going to set up the video that you can see if you "click on the link below". This is the rough draft they put on You Tube as they are going to show it this Sunday. I thought you guys would like to see it as we are all a part of a legacy of faith handed down from both sides of the family...this just happens to highlight the Miller's side. When you think of the life she went through spiritually, physically, emotionally, and socioeconomically...it puts things into perspective very quickly and directs me to thanking my Lord for the many blessings I receive today due to those before me. Blessings to all! Todd
Click here to watch Video
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That was awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing with us and with your church. I, too, am thankful to be a part of the legacy.
I love you!!
I can just see the pride in Grandma Miller's eyes as she sees you telling others about Jesus. We love you, Todd. Mom
Post a Comment